Re: Selecting Files

Gene

Not control key home. If you move in a folder using control, however you move, nothing is selected or unselected. I'm saying that if you are in a folder, move around in it using the arrow keys, home or end, the file you move to will be selected. If you just open a folder, nothing is selected. You opened a folder, pressed control and moved. Nothing was selected and nothing became selected.
My point is that people need to know that if they have moved in a folder something will be selected and it may not be one of the things they want selected. To make this simple, if you are in a folder that you have moved around in and you want to make sure nothing is selected, press home, then hold control and press the space bar. Now, nothing is selected.

From: hurrikennyandopo ...
Sent: Wednesday, January 06, 2021 7:42 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Selecting Files

Hi Gene

I just done it to 2 different folders that I went into.

So when I go in see all the files then use ctrl key + home key none is
selected unless I want it selected. This is on windows 10. I am guessing
also the same result will be for all folders with files.

Gene nz

On 7/01/2021 1:00 pm, Gene wrote:
The tutorial omits something important. If you move to the top of the list, the item you have moved to is selected. If you hold control and you don't want it selected, you should press space on that item

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: hurrikennyandopo ...
Sent: Wednesday, January 06, 2021 5:57 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Hi

is the following tutorial from off my website is what he is wanting. It is for windows explorer.

Selecting and unselecting files in File Explorer
When you go into a folder in file explorer you might only want to copy certain files out of that folder. They might not be together or in a group. To copy only certain files out of the folder if there are heaps of them you will need to do the following.
It would be easier to go to the top of the folder so you can see all the files below. Now, hold down the Ctrl key, then use the Spacebar to select or unselect hightlighted files. Each time you press the Spacebar on an unselected file it will then become selected. Work your way down the files you want and select them with the Spacebar while still holding the Ctrl key. You should hear whether it is selected or unselected. As you arrow down the list of files, to confirm which ones you selected while still holding down the Ctrl key, go to the top of the folder then arrow down the list. If it only says the name of the song it is selected but if it says the name of the song and unselected then you know it is not. Usually the status bar can be read with the NVDA key + End key but not at present.

You can grab an NVDA add-on to tell you how many files have been selected until Windows fixes this problem. You will need to use the NVDA key and the End key to see how many file were selected. Please visit the following link https://www.dropbox.com/s/a935bus11i8y8k0/ZExplorer_1.0_Gen.nvda-addon?dl=0

Gene nz

On 7/01/2021 11:58 am, Sascha Cowley via groups.io wrote:
You should not need to use Ctrl while doing this; Shift + ↓ will extend a continuous selection. Using Ctrl + Shift + ↓ seems to continue a non-continuous selection from the last selected item (IE the one nearest above where you are in the list). With that in mind, are you trying to use Ctrl+Shift+↓ in a list view where nothing is selected? If so, try pressing Space on the item you want to be the first selected item, then using Ctrl+Shift+↓.