Re: On Intentionally Marking Any Groups.io Message as Spam - DON'T #adminnotice

Bob Cavanaugh

Shaun,
You are absolutely right. While it hasn't happened to me on this
group, another list I'm on has a couple members who post from Yahoo
and iCloud email addresses. While I always move them to my inbox, it
seems that 90% of the time, those messages still end up in my spam
folder.

I don't mark messzages myself, I go through and unmark messages as spam,
all I was saying is that some filters look for words which could be.

Its hard to know what will trigger the filter and I have noticed its not
going to do it constantly.

I have had messages marked as spam then more from the same poster not
marked but this hardly happens at least with gmail so the filters are
getting better.

On 7/01/2021 6:00 pm, Brian Vogel wrote:
Shaun,

           Please, for the love of heaven, pay attention to what I,
and others, write.

           I anonymized the message, but it's almost certain that
someone who is a member of this group used the mark as spam option of
their webmail or email client.  No one should, under any
circumstances, for any message, ever do that for a message that they
have received from a service they subscribed to. Unsubscribe, or mute
the topic, but do NOT mark it spam.

            I suggest you read up on Email Feedback Loops
<https://duckduckgo.com/?q=email+feedback+loop> and the havoc they
can, and do, wreak.  I would like to prevent that for our members,
thanks very much. Your contention about marking something as spam
often enough is just fine, if the thing is actually spam.  But if it
isn't, that's another story.  No message from groups.io is spam
because you asked for it, directly, by subscribing.

The depths of denial one can be pushed to by outside forces of
disapproval can make you not even recognize yourself to yourself.

       ~ Brian Vogel