Re: Using NVDA and Number Pad on laptop

Gene

When I bought my phone, I had the salesperson tell me what keys did what, aside from the number keys, of course. When I bought my laptop, I had the salesperson tell me about keys that aren't in the places they are on a standard keyboard. You simply can't live in the world with no sighted help.

From: Brian Vogel
Sent: Saturday, January 09, 2021 11:32 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Using NVDA and Number Pad on laptop

Brian,

Your computer does, as I suspected, have a Home and a Delete key, and these are immediately above the backspace key, the Delete is the one to the left and the Home to the right, but these also appear to be assigned as media keys, which will need to be disabled.

As much as I suspect I am going to be excoriated for saying this: Sometimes there is absolutely no substitute for sight, and getting the "lay of the land" for an unfamiliar keyboard is one of those times. You can spend days to weeks trying to guess what a sighted assistant can tell you in mere moments. It makes sense to engage someone, very briefly, to let you know "where they've squeezed things" when you're dealing with a compact keyboard where the layout is definitely different than the keyboards on most laptops 15 inch and above in size. It appears that Acer is using a slightly squeezed keyboard on the 15 inch series, as the 14 inch has no number pad.

Here is a download link for the User Manual for the Aspire serie: https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Document/User%20Manual/User%20Manual_Acer_1.0_A_A.pdf?acerid=637275362518627296&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE%20A314-22&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

Page 18 of the manual clearly indicates that BIOS/UEFI needs to be tweaked to turn off the hotkey functions and have them behave as typical function keys. Unless that is done, you must press the Fn key plus the given function key for it to behave as the function key. Once turned off, the situation flip-flops, where Fn plus the given function key will behave as the hotkey, but a press of the function key acts as the function key itself.

~ Brian Vogel