Re: Double Tone

Joseph, I wander in that case if we should just wrip out nvda logging entirely and use a universal one, either cloud based, or some third party one established.

I never used crash heroe, but maybe we need to use something like that or some other way to handle things.

On 10/01/2021 2:39 pm, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

This will involve patching log handler module, specifically various log handler classes (NVDA uses Python’s logging facility for log output). Another thing to consider is that some users may set log level to “disabled”, in which only a brief startup message will be recorded. In general, patching NVDA’s built-in modules and functions by replacing a class or a function is discouraged as it can introduce headaches (compatibility issues among others; trust me, I went through it painfully recently with Windows 10 App Essentials add-on).

There used to be an add-on named Crash Hero that will be triggered automatically when NVDA restarts after a crash. This add-on will record crash information such as old log file (if it exists). This add-on did not survive Python 3 transition (speaking of NVDA’s logging facility, it took days to move that from 2 to 3 two years ago).

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Saturday, January 9, 2021 4:12 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Double Tone

As a former programmer, I hesitate to even suggest the following, as it is likely far, far more complicated than the previous descriptions lead me to believe it might be.

But if NVDA is detecting that an error has occurred, and what would be sent to the NVDA developers (or add-on developers), and all of that content comes from the log file working backward from current logged error to the last one to extract what's needed, could this not be automated as a function (or, perhaps) add-on for the beta itself?

Based on what's been described, which I understand may not be comprehensive, grabbing that traceback should be relatively straightforward programatically and would result in far more data for developers than relying on manual reporting would.

[Now, let the explanations about why the above is, in actuality, impractical, begin.  It just can't be this straightforward or someone would have done it.]

       ~ Brian Vogel