Re: Reducing the reading speed of NVDA

Vaibhav Saraf

Hi Brian,

The voice rate this way increments or decrements by 5 levels. Any way to do it just by one level without going to settings?

I am a laptop user thus using NVDA + Shift + Ctrl + Up/down arrow.

Thanks,
Vaibhav

On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 at 02:32, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
Before I answer your question, I want to make you aware of one of the handiest commands for a new NVDA user when it comes to finding the keyboard shortcuts used to control the vast majority of "commonly used" features:   NVDA+N,H,Q  (which is INS+N,H,Q in desktop keyboard layout) will cause the Commands Quick Reference to open in your default web browser.  The question you're asking is about one of the common features/tweaks, and the keyboard shortcuts for changing the reading rate, is found there under Synth Settings Ring, copied here:

Synth settings ring

Name Desktop key Laptop key Description
Move to next synth setting NVDA+control+rightArrow NVDA+shift+control+rightArrow Moves to the next available speech setting after the current, wrapping around to the first setting again after the last
Move to previous synth setting NVDA+control+leftArrow NVDA+shift+control+leftArrow Moves to the next available speech setting before the current, wrapping around to the last setting after the first
Increment current synth setting NVDA+control+upArrow NVDA+shift+control+upArrow increases the current speech setting you are on. E.g. increases the rate, chooses the next voice, increases the volume
Decrement current synth setting NVDA+control+downArrow NVDA+shift+control+downArrow decreases the current speech setting you are on. E.g. decreases the rate, chooses the previous voice, decreases the volume

You'd have to get yourself to the speech rate for your chosen synth using one or the other of the first two commands, then increment/increase or decrement/decrease the rate using the third and fourth commands, respectively.

       ~ Brian Vogel