Re: muting

Dan Beaver

Just a note here about something I noticed while reading Gene's post.

While listening I heard him say to type S N D V O L and press enter.  But what I actually heard was tinvol not S N D V O L.  I am still frequently disgusted with how messy the pronunciation tables are for the different synths.  I use MS David by the way.

Dan Beaver

On 1/10/2021 7:44 AM, Gene wrote:
> Do the following: Issue the command Windows key r. Hold the Windows > key and type r. The run dialog opens. Type sndvol and press enter. > The Windows volume control dialog will open. Tab once. You are on the > mute speakers button, though it presumably says unmute when the > speakers are muted. Press the space bar. Test with something like > NVDA key t to read the title bar to see if you have speech. > > Try this when you have speech to make sure things are set up as > expected. Don't mute the speakers, in other words tab to see if you > land on the button, then when you hear where you are, close the > volume control dialog with alt f4. If you unmute sound in this way > in the future, once you use space and get sound back, close the > dialog with alt f4. There is no ok button and settings changes take > immediate effect. > > I would advise getting a cheap USB sound card, you can get them for > less than 10 American dollars, for emergencies when you lose > speech and can't get it back, which is unlikely but which may happen. > Using the external sound card will give you speech until you solve > the problem, assuming it is solvable by changing settings, which it > likely will be. In case the problem is more serious, such as a > hardware failure, you will have speech with no interruption in your > use of the computer and can continue to use the external sound card. > > Gene -----Original Message----- From: Neil Campbell Sent: Sunday, > January 10, 2021 6:27 AM To: nvda@nvda.groups.io Subject: [nvda] > muting > > > > > > > > Hello Everyone > > > > I am using NVDA with Windows 10 on a desk top computer, and suddenly > lost the NVDA voice. I tried to start NVDA again with control alt n > which did not work, and also tried to start Windows Narrator which > did not work too . I thought I may have muted the sound, so pressed > F7 which had no effect. I got the assistance of a sighted person who > said that there was a big cross through a speaker on the bottom of > the screen which he clicked the mouse on and sound came back. Is > there any way I can turn the sound back on myself using quick > keystrokes. I have no sight at all. > > > > Neil > > > > > > > > > > > > > . --
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)