From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Damien Garwood
Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2021 4:13 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Virtual Linux and NVDA?

Hi Dan,
Yeah, I thought that when it booted and I got nothing. I was just getting absolutely no response - ended up having to do a hard shutdown.
And then it clicked - same machine, but...Well. Different machine!
I don't know how to set up an SSH server, which is why I ideally need it to work locally. But if it's not possible, it's not possible and I guess I'll have to learn some more advanced wizardry to be able to get stuff done. Including switching back to Windows. I must admit, this is my first time with VM's - whole new (and rather intimidating) area of computing for me.
Cheers,
Damien.

On 10/01/2021 10:49 pm, Dan Miner via groups.io wrote:
You have to understand that a VM provided by VirtualBox or VMWare is very much like having a whole different computer running. NVDA can't "reach in" and inspect the applications. So, you will have to get orca running within the VM itself for GUIs. Be sure you have sound enabled for the VM and the popular distributions can typically have orca turned on via pressing WIN+ALT+S once you believe you have the GUI running. If you don't plan to use a GUI, then you will need to get that Linux system to boot up with SpeakUp ,Fenrir, or some virtual console screen reader of your choice. With a command-line only method, I would just ssh into the box like your previous VPS set up.

Dan