Re: How to turn off NVDA

Robert Doc Wright godfearer

The normal sleep command is insert+shift+s.
To stop NVDA from speaking anywhere press insert+s.Original Message -----

From: Gene
Sent: Wednesday, January 13, 2021 3:38 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] How to turn off NVDA

I think I saw discussion long ago about how to have NVDA sleep globally but I don't see one in the quick commands reference.  Perhaps it isn't a command but some other way to achieve this.  I hope someone knowledgeable on the subject discusses this so that we know.  I hope there is a way to achieve universal sleep but I didn't find one.

Gene

On 1/13/2021 4:16 AM, Gene via groups.io wrote:

I don't think that is what is meant.  I think what is meant is does NVDA affect any program commands or ways of moving in a program compared to when it is not running?  This is generally a concern if you are a sighted user working in browse mode, but it is of little or no concern if you are a blind user.  My understanding is that browse mode changes what is shown on screen and the way you move as a sighted user.

If the computer is only going to be used by a blind user, I don't think there will be any problems.  If the computer is going to be used both by a blind and sighted users, tthere may be and if there is a universal sleep command that works correctly, given the problem you are describing, that would be the best solution.

I think what was meant by the keystroke question was can you still use NVDA keystrokes even when NVDA is not "running" - NVDA doesn't prevent program keyboard shortcuts from working, it only adds to them - for instance there are a lot of NVDA keystrokes for getting around the web where there are relatively few when using a browser alone without NVDA.  I am a bit baffled, as if I'm understanding your issue correctly, I've never heard of anyone else with a similar issue, except, as previously mentioned, where a dialog box was left open (which admittedly is a bug on our part, but usually one fairly easy to notice and rectify).

On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 7:37 PM Food Posse <allaboutfoodandfun@...> wrote:
I didn't notice any key commands affected by nvda but I did not test every app and keyboard shortcut. If that is the case, then she will definitely switch to Narrator. She is hugely dependent on keyboard shortcuts.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will offer it to her as another workaround to just turn off the voice as long as nvda running in the background does not slow down her work. I have learned quite a bit in trying to troubleshoot this for her. But I am almost ready to call it quits.

From: Robert Doc Wright godfearer [mailto:godfearer@...]
Date: Wednesday, January 13, 2021, 3:10 AM
Subject: [nvda] How to turn off NVDA

Is NVDA in anyway affecting the screen or any key commands? I ask because when I need it to be silent I press NVDA+s to turn speech mode off. Then turn it back on with the same command pressing it until I hear 'speech mode talk'.
From: Quentin Christensen [mailto:quentin@...]
Date: Tuesday, January 12, 2021, 10:25 PM

Something weird certainly seems to be happening - NVDA DOES appear in task manager, as any other running program does, and if you "end task" it then it closes, just like any other program or process - although pressing NVDA+Q then enter should achieve the same result.

If you have NVDA set to start on the logon screen, then as others have noted, it will pop up when you get into a secure screen, but you mentioned you didn't do that.  The only thing I can think of is if the query about sending usage information isn't answered - I must admit I haven't tested that myself, I usually just say yes as soon as it comes up (you can say no and it shouldn't make a difference - it sends a little extra non-identifiable information about your system when NVDA checks for updates once a day - useful for us, but not critical).

If NVDA isn't listed in your task manager (and the little purple and white icon isn't in the notification area) then I wonder if it isn't Narrator or some other text to speech program which is running not NVDA.

We have a few users who use NVDA as you have described, on demand, enabling and disabling as needed, and I'm not aware of this being a wider problem, but I'm interested to try to get to the bottom of it now.

Quentin.

On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 2:15 PM Food Posse <allaboutfoodandfun@...> wrote:
Thanks for the good ideas.  I took a break over the holidays and then just picked it up again to try to figure it out.

To answer a previous question, she needs to be able to turn NVDA on and off whenever she wants. She is extremely proficient with keyboard shortcuts and only needs screen readers for things like reading emails, webpages, and documents where the content is unknown and without sound. Having a screen reader while she is working on music and sound editing work is counterproductive.

While experimenting, I learned that the Task Manager did not really end the task. It merely closed the welcome and quit dialogs.  NVDA does not show up in the active or background processes when it is running or when it auto-launches. This at least explains why ending the task in Task Manager is not a permanent "quit". But it does not explain why NVDA continues to run after quit command and not displayed as a process.

When manually choosing OK button to close the welcome dialog, another dialog opens asking about sending data to NVDA. When I selected "Remind Me Later" option, that NVDA "reminder" appears in the background processes of the Task Manager. When I ended that reminder running in the background in task manager, NVDA does turn off and does not auto-launches. But NVDA does not appear as a background app if I did not select that reminder option but still continues to run and auto-launches.

Cleaning off the laptop, again, and reloading NVDA did not solve the problem. For some reason, NVDA is running in the background without being listed and cannot be completely turned off by the user which should not happen for any program. NVDA was running even when there are no apps listed as active in Task Manager.

As a work-around, she is set up now with two profiles, one with NVDA and one without.   Having a portable version is a good idea but switching profiles was easier for her. I suspect that she will likely shift to Narrator sooner than later.

If anyone else knows why NVDA does not appear as a process, active apps or background, and why it keeps running after selecting Quit, please share but I have no further clue on my own.

From: Gene [mailto:gsasner@...]
Date: Friday, January 1, 2021, 10:20 AM

I realized today that one possible work around for the problem hasn't been discussed.  Don't have an installed version of NVDA on the machine.  Completely remove it.  Then when running the installer file, use the create portable version and create one wherever you want on the c drive, I assume that is where you keep programs and data.

Run that program, stop it in the usual NVDA key q way, and see if it runs when it shouldn't.  If you use a portable version, there will be some things that can't be done when using Windows 10.  if these things don't interfere with how the person uses the machine, the problem has been worked around.

If you want to pursue other possible solutions discussed here, of course you may, but you may want to try this first.

Gene

On 12/29/2020 10:09 AM, Gene wrote:
I don't know what is causing the problem.  I seem to recall seeing someone discuss the same or a similar problem a number of years ago.  I don't recall if it was resolved or how.  Is it necessary to use this one computer? Trying another might be the solution.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Food Posse
Sent: Tuesday, December 29, 2020 9:58 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Thank you for the troubleshooting efforts.

We did not select the option to launch NVDA at windows login. But even if it was, sounds like NVDA should not auto-launch after closing unless activated by a person. We did not change any other NVDA default settings.

So we uninstalled and reinstalled NVDA but the same thing happens - Insert+Q, dialog box open, default option is already Exit, dialog box closes but NVDA continues to read the screen. Then when forced to close through the Task Manager, NVDA still automatically relaunches at various times like launching an app.

This is a new system so it should be pretty clean. There are very few programs other than what came pre-installed with the laptop. AVG was downloaded to confirm no viruses on the computer or on the NVDA exe before we reinstalled. We even checked the startup options in the Task Manager and NVDA is not on the list. Our friend really wants NVDA but we are not sure what else to try.

On 12/28/2020 3:05 PM, Gene wrote:
I suspect the reason NVDA automatically comes on when set to run at the login screen when the secure desktop comes up may be that NVDA loads another version of itself to run when the secure desktop opens.  My guess is that there is a relation between this and the setting to automatically run at the login screen.  Perhaps one of the developers will discuss the matter.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Brian Vogel
Sent: Monday, December 28, 2020 2:00 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

On Mon, Dec 28, 2020 at 02:21 PM, Bob Cavanaugh wrote:
Actually, this isn't always the case. If the option to use NVDA on the
log-on screen is checked, it annoyingly pops up on every screen that
requires administrative action, and stays there until you shut it off.-
This is news to me, and good information to have.  Most of the folks I've worked with who are using NVDA have their systems set up to log them straight in to their desktops on system (re)start, so they're not using that setting.

Several don't even have any screen reader turn on initially by default, as they will choose one based on what it is they're about to work with first if one screen reader works with that software better than the other.

Other than what you document above, which I've never seen because that setting was not set, I have not encountered NVDA doing a self-restart once explicitly exited from.

There are a number of possibilities here, but if the situation you described is known to not have been set up, I still strongly recommend an uninstall and reinstall to see if that clears things up, and paying particular attention to the dialogs when installing so the way you want NVDA to behave is actually set up correctly.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager