Re: cloning a drive accessibly

Dan Miner

I had this very similar problem about two months ago but I wanted the entire system (including the OS). I was just upgrading my SSD to a larger capacity. However, it sounds like you just have a big pile of files. If you're comfortable with the command line , I've heard lots of good things about robocopy. Myself, I would be in a WSL2 terminal and using rsync most likely since I know the tool very well and it generally resumes beautifully when things go wrong as seems inevitable for large copies.

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Shaun Everiss
Sent: Wednesday, January 13, 2021 12:09 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] cloning a drive accessibly

Hi.

Since I have some cash to burn after christmas and since my portable drives are aging, I thought I'd do a transfer of content and get a new drive.

Now, how easy is it to clone that drive or transfer it over.

Previously I have done that manually via explorer and while that works it takes ages.

Also explorer and the large sizes of things mean that the system is not as stable as it could be doing massive file opperations.

So what is the most accessible way with nvda to clone the drives over.

I want to transfer all folders etc over.

I will be putting things to a bigger drive, so I don't want to copy an exact copy of the partition record just the files and sub folders over with all contents obviously.

I also want to be able to select everything on that drive aI am doing transfer to, but deselect things I don't want, one of the drives has older backup data for another system which I no longer need, is there an easy way to handle that.

Shaun

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.