Re: Setting column headers to read in Excel

Jeff Samco

Thanks for the tip. I never picked up on the subtlety that clearing header info requires pressing NVDA+Shift+C or R twice quickly. I had interpretted the instruction as pressing it a second time. Now it works like I expect for clearing the heading setting.
Thanks,
Jeff

At 04:47 PM 1/13/2021, you wrote:
There isn't a "clear all" command, but if you go back to where you set the headers, you can press NVDA+shift+c (or NVDA+shift+r for row headers) and press the command twice quickly to remove the set header.

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 11:22 AM Jeff Samco <jsamco@...> wrote:
Thank you for correcting my using the wrong key combination. Funny thing, the right key combo actually works!*grin*
A second question:  On a  spreadsheet  on which I am trying to set a row of  column headers to read. When I am in the first cell of the row, and when I press NVDA+Shift_C it tells me the headers  are already set at those cell coordinates. Subsequent pressing of NVDA+Shift+C just repeats the same announcement.
Is there a way of just clearing all column and row  announcement "markers" so I can start from scratch?
Thanks, again,
Jeff

At 02:54 PM 1/13/2021, you wrote:
Per section 11.2.1 of the NVDA user guide:
After moving to the first cell in the column or row containing the headers, use one of the following commands:
Name

Key

Description

Set column headers

NVDA+shift+c

Pressing this once tells NVDA this is the first header cell in the row that contains column headers, which should be automatically announced when moving between columns below this row. Pressing twice will clear the setting.

Set row headers

NVDA+shift+r

Pressing this once tells NVDA this is the first header cell in the column that contains row headers, which should be automatically announced when moving between rows after this column. Pressing twice will clear the setting.

These settings will be stored in the workbook as defined name ranges compatible with other screen readers such as JAWS. This means that users of other screen readers who open this workbook at a later date will automatically have the row and column headers already set.