Re: NVDA say: edit read-only when nagivate line by line in Word

Hi all
I think the problem caused by Office 2016. My friend use Microsoft Office 2016. I created a portable NVDA from my current NVDA, and shared to her, but the problem still occur after installing that one. Right now I don't have any computer with office 2016 install, and try to make sure this is an issue so if any of you using the latest NVDA with office 2016, please share expirience. If this is an issue, I'm going to create a tiket on github.
Cuong

On 12/31/2020 10:38 AM, Cuong Dang Manh via groups.io wrote:
Hi Giles
Thanks for your instruction. I know this, but my friend said she can edit her file normaly. Just feel a little annoy while NVDA read this each time she navigate. I'll call her to understand the problem clearly.
Appreciated your help, and replies from other member.
Cuong
On 12/30/2020 10:42 PM, Giles Turnbull wrote:
Hi Cuong,

most of the time this happens with Word, it is because the document has been emailed to the NVDA user. Regardless of whether the NVDA user has opened it directly from the email or has saved it to their computer first and then opened it, Word will open it in protected mode, which is read-only and therefore it can't be edited and many of the ribbon options, like chnaging font or changing the view to draft view will not work.

To prevent that happening, press ALT+f to open the file menu, press the down arrow key three times to get to the Info menu, press Tab to enter that menu and then press the down arrow to get to the Protected View menu. Press Tab again and you'll be on the Enable Editing option and, if you press enter, that document will become unprotected and the NVDA user should no longer hear the warning that the document is protected and can't be edited. It will remain unprotected even after you close the document or shut down the computer. The same works with Excel files :)

I hope that helps.

Giles