From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Monday, 11 January 2021 2:45 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] muting

Neil,

          Mute is typically done through a dedicated key on some media keyboards, or through F6 or F7 (when used as media keys) on many laptops and some desktop keyboards.  All it takes to trigger a mute by accident is Fn+F6 (or F7) and often Fn+F6 (or F7) will toggle it back off.

           This is another of those instances where make and model information as well as whether any media keys function is enabled (and for a screen reader user I'd very, very strongly suspect it's not unless the machine is brand new and untweaked yet).  Some makers do highly unconventional things as far as what function keys correspond to what media functions.

            Gene's advice about using sndvol and getting a cheap external USB soundcard are both things to try and do.

       ~ Brian Vogel