From: Brian Vogel
Sent: Friday, January 22, 2021 6:08 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Navigating A Web Page

On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 07:04 PM, Gene wrote:
Evidently, a sighted user can infer that the play button won't work until the dialog is closed.-
And based on what I just did, so should a blind user. If you suddenly don't have access to something, and it's been replaced by something else, the presumption that you must interact with that something else, first, should be automatic.

I do this by sight because I see it's overlayed the underlying page. When I'm using a screen reader, and it pops up, focus of the screen reader shifts right to it and forces you to interact with it, which is no different than what I'm experiencing visually.

When you suddenly face a situation where focus has shifted, which was characteristic of dialog boxes of virtually any type, it's been pretty standard practice to review it and do what's appropriate to dismiss it to go back to whence it sprung. How is this any different, other than it's occurring on a web page? [That's a serious question, as this is not, in my experience, novel behavior. It's been around for quite a while.]

~ Brian Vogel