From: "Shaun Everiss" <sm.everiss@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2016 9:53 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Facebook on Chrome with NVDA

Hmmm I have never tried firefox on a serface, but the i5 2.4ghz dule and 4gb ram is enough with the amd 1gb vidcard.
Your system needs a good reconfig.
Generally what I do with any new system is to first give it a good reformat which always fixes things.
Then reinstall everything and ask the user if they need it or not and update what they need.
The first thing that goes is usually the security suite and other malware tools because the comercial ones slow the system down.
Next on the list is usually spotify/itunes/skype because they use a lot of power and ram.
Next are the cloud services, if you don't need bt sync/dropbox/googledrive/onedrive running 24/7 or at least at startup that takes a lot off the system.
In theory all you should at least as a blink have at startup are.
1. your antivirus and or other security program, your drivers for essential hardware, and your screen reader.
No soundcard or display enhancements nothing like that.
It gets harder for those I work with that want 4 cloud systems going, skype, spotify, itunes, their own personal web server and something else.
It means a lot of memmory I can't get access to.
Even with the latest updates and even with all drivers updated, drives scanned and defraged anti virused, etc there still can be problems.
Most people actually think when the system is set up even via a recovery disk that it just works.
Your system is usually set up so someone can demo it in a shop or something.
By default its just the default and thats usually crap.
On my toshiba I pulled the fingerprint security, the network configuration and several other features because they were either useless or just not needed.
I also did the change the enhancements to nothing, and turn all bios keyboard hooks off so they didn't get in the way.
Where you can it doesn't hurt to get the latest drivers and bios while you're at it.
And even if you don't you should note what you use.
You should have a base configuration for all your systems.
Mine for example is either msse/ whatever security software they use weather it be windows defender, avg or something unless its norton or some hog like that.
ccleaner, defragler, 7zip vlc audacity, winlame cd burner xp, chrome and or firefox.
Firefox has better privacy, nav sounds add block + and noscript.
Thats the basic configuration.
It allows me basic recording, file compression, cd creation, full access to critical functions, etc.
On those systems where the space is small, I reduce it to the minimum, ccleaner, defragler, security software, 7zip, and thats about it.
My system has the ability for youtube conversion, video to mp3 functions, a dvd audio extracter, a couple of game file hack tools, a lite weight processer and a lot of games and other datafiles but my config doesn't differ that much from base.
On my dad's side he has itunes for his devices, office, several software packages for his gps including mapping software.
In my brothers its office, and his speech recognition package, as well as that he has functions for his various cameras and mobile devices.
My dad also has the camera functions.
In all base configs, I have java for java apps, klite mega for codecs, all visual c runtimes from 2005 to whatever the latest is, dotnet from what is the most compatible version in xp thats 1.1 to 4.6, on 7, its 5.0 based net frame means I don't need that extra junk.
I also have directx 9 or whatever the latest is running, vb6 extended and a few other misc things.
Anyway once you have a base, you find what you don't and do need.
Firstly take note of all your programs you have installed and find out what you need and what you don't.
Find out what is starting up, and well what you need, search for it if you want.
Next see if there are drivers, etc to update.
Look at all the programs you have, and what you need, see how much they cost to update, free and opensource should be updated whenever.
Low cost programs should be especially if they have a licence for lifetimes and bigger stuff, well you need to decide if you need it and budget accordingly.
Point is by this time you should have a good idea of what you have, and why.
Next is the hard part.
With all your programs in front of you, do a full reformat and reload from scratch.
As you reload see what you need, I have often cleared out things that way.
Once you are done you have a slick config.
The trick is sticking with it.
I don't fiddle that much, on my personal workstation with backups, I do let myself doodle round the edge, I have not needed to reformat yet though some stuff is broken.
On other workstations I have I load everythihng that is needed and improve experience of the users.
On others, I generally do what I need to do and get out.
The average jo public isn't going to give you credit if you fiddle round and if it breaks its a headake for you and time for him.
And becides you want to get in, fix whatever and exit.
Pulling his unencripted music collection along the way maybe.
Thing is once you have a stable config unless you get a virus, hardware failier or a bug jumps down your power fan, your system shouldn't fail or need another format.
Most users sadly run in default mode then wander why its broke.
Even if you don't reformat you can still adopt some of the steps, its not really as good if you don't reformat but if you are diligent you can make the best of a bad situation.
Ie even though I have adobe acrobat, flash,etc on various systems, fact is one of the boxes here needs a good reformat, but I have been able to get round some of its issues to work with it.
There is a big hole in my own workstation but right now I need no accessing that broken bit and its not gotten worse.

On 7/09/2016 7:12 p.m., Supanut Leepaisomboon wrote:
I agree. The main reason I'm looking towards Chrome is because I think it's faster and less laggy on a laptop. Though if I do get a new laptop that is more powerful than my Surface 3, then it may not actually matter...