Re: NVDA Screen Review Mode

Sarah k Alawami

I don't ever ever return to object review mode. and I never get odd results. I don't really know why you keep saying that as for me it is not true. I can still use my arrows then to into an object all without switching modes.

On 23 Jan 2021, at 0:04, Gene wrote:

When you are  in screen review mode, you can move around the screen and not change your place where you are working, for example, in a word processor, you can move around and not change the position of the cursor where you are working.  Also, if you are somewhere where you can't move around using Windows commands such as up and down arrow, you can look at what is on the screen in review mode.  If an error message ccomes up, you can move around it using screen review.

Don't forget to always return to object navigation mode as soon ase you are finished working in review mode.  If you don't, you may get unexpected results.

Gene

On 1/23/2021 1:14 AM, Blind allday wrote:

I have read the user guide but it was a very brief overview of the Screen Review Mode.

On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 10:32 PM Chris Smart <ve3rwj@...> wrote:

If you mean ObjectNAV, it's not that scary.

On 2021-01-22 8:56 p.m., Sarah k Alawami wrote:

Actually tha'ts not quite true. I use screen review on a lot of newer programs and activate things with the mouse. I use screen review to read the screen, route and click. I never if I can help it use object review.

Take care

On 22 Jan 2021, at 17:22, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

Ah, I see.

What you are describing is called “focus mode” where whatever key you press will be dealt not by NVDA but by the web application you are using. For example, pressing K while playing a YouTube video will pause the video if focus mode is on, whereas NVDA will move you to the next link if browse mode is active.

Screen review, on the other hand, will let you review the contents of an app’s window. For example, under older programs, activating screen review mode will let you see the contents of the app that aren’t accessible with keyboard commands. These days screen review would not work properly in newer apps but you can find out the contents of a window by doing an OCR (NVDA+R).

Cheers,

Joseph