Re: message announced by NVDA

Quentin Christensen

In the User guide under object presentation settings: https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/documentation/userGuide.html#ObjectPresentationSettings

Report Object descriptions is described as:

"Uncheck this checkbox if you don't wish to have the description reported along with objects (i.e. search suggestions, reporting of whole dialog window right after the dialog opens, etc.)."

So my reading is that you are encountering exactly what the option says will happen if you disable it?

Perhaps the question then is more what do you want read differently when you have this option enabled / disabled?  And / or in this case, if you largely want it off, but want it on in one program, using a configuration profile might be the option here.

Quentin.

On Sat, Jan 23, 2021 at 7:57 PM bering.p <bering.p@...> wrote:
Hi to all.
I am sharing with you an observation I made concerning the announcement of messages by NVDA and which may be the subject of a PR.

When the option "Report object descriptions" is disabled, NVDA does not speak the text in dialog boxes.
This is annoying when it comes to a message informing the user or questioning him.
For example:
- following a manual search for update request.
- when an add-on uses "gui.messageBox" to query the user.

In this case, it is necessary to read the contents of the dialog box using "NVDA + b".

I think that any message emitted by NVDA should be announced regardless of the state of activation of the option.
What do you think ?
And if you agree, please do the PR.

best regards.
Paul.