Re: NVDA Beta 4 error tone when opening outlook

Quentin Christensen

Alpha and Beta builds play an error sound whenever an error is written to the log.  RC and stable builds will record exactly the same errors, but don't play a sound.  There are a number of situations where NVDA might record an error, however it then tries something else which works, and so most end users wouldn't notice anything amiss.

If you can reliably reproduce an error in that situation, as Joseph noted, you can find the exact errors in the log, do test if you can reproduce with add-ons disabled, and if so, it's still worth creating an issue on GitHub for: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues

We'll prioritise issues which have an adverse reaction for users of course, but fixing such an error might still result in a smoother experience.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Fri, Jan 29, 2021 at 5:19 AM Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

Hi all,

I can’t speak to NV Access, but personally whenever you hear an error tone from NvDA (alpha and beta snapshots), I advise opening log viewer (NVDA+F1) and look at lines above developer info statement as it will record the error and traceback information so we (developers) can diagnose the problem. This is more so if you hear error tones constantly (from anywhere).

Cheers,

Joseph