Re: Excel 365: Adding Note on Cell

Bob Cavanaugh <cavbob1993@...>

I'm not sure a debug log would help, but I'll send you one next time I
need to use the context menu. My understanding of the issue was the
original question was that if you try to add a note to a cell using
the context menu NVDA would quit speaking altogether until you
navigated away from and then back into the spreadsheet. That is
exactly the issue I have with 2016. The thread I started is here:
https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/topic/having_issues_with_nvda_with/78332368?p=,,,20,0,0,0::recentpostdate%2Fsticky,,,20,2,340,78332368

On 2/3/21, Quentin Christensen <quentin@nvaccess.org> wrote:
Bob,

I think there might be several issues at play here:

1) The original question was around adding notes to cells. This works if
you use the shortcut but not if you do it via the context menu - because we
programmed our dialog to be triggered via the shortcut key.

2) I'm not familiar with your context menu query, but other functions
should work via the context menu, eg inserting cells, opening format cells,
sort, filter, etc. - I didn't trawl through issues extensively, so there
may be an issue I'm not familiar with.

If there isn't already an issue for your context menu freeze, then we'd
definitely like to explore it further - a debug log replicating the issue
would be a great place to start. Do email me offlist if you want to share
a log - info@nvaccess.org

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 5:57 AM Bob Cavanaugh <cavbob1993@gmail.com> wrote:

This sounds like the exact same issue I have with Excel 2016, not 365
using NVDA 2020.3. This was the first post I made to this list back in
December when I joined, and was recommended an alpha build to try to
fix the problem. As that was a few months ago, I would assume that
build has been integrated into 2020.4, though I don't know for sure.
This happens to me any time I use the context menu though. Usually in
my case, I use it to insert and delete cells, and just like the
original message, I have to alt+tab away from and back into the
spreadsheet to get NVDA to speak again. I'm not even sure if 2016 has
the note feature. Either way, I don't use it, but this is a problem
with any action involving the context menu.

On 2/2/21, Bhavya shah <bhavya.shah125@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear all,

I am using NVDA 2020.4 Beta 4 and Excel for Microsoft 365 (the offline
app not the web-based interface). I navigated to a cell wherein I
wanted to write a brief remark, pressed the Applications key, and then
pressed Enter on the New Note Add a note about this part of the
document option. This opens up something that NVDA is completely
silent in. Tabbing or arrowing around doesn't help, nor does object
navigation. I have to press Escape and Alt+Tab away and back to the
spreadsheet to get back to the cell, and "has comment" (which comment
I presume would be blank) is reported by NVDA. I would like to
properly access this note/comment editing area so as to actually use
this Excel feature. Is this a known accessibility issue or can it be
resolved? Are there work-arounds?

I would greatly appreciate any assistance.

Thanks.

--
Best Regards
Bhavya Shah