Re: Thunderbird will become a webbased application - What about accessibility?

Chris Smart

Another thought:

Why does anyone need to use the very latest version of Thunderbird, if an older one still works just fine?

This is a ridiculous example, but I held on to Eudora 7 for almost a decade, and only switched to Thunderbird in the past year. Why? Because it still worked under Windows 10.

Perhaps that won't be possible this time around, but other than security concerns, or the way email works being changed in a fundamental way, I can't see much changing in how we create, send, and receive email any time soon. Email is very very old.

On 2021-02-08 5:37 a.m., Christian Schoepplein wrote:
Hi,

regarding to a presentation at FOSDEM 2021 it is planed to make Thunderbird more and more a webbased application based on Electron.

I wonder what that means regarding to accessibility in Thunderbird in general and what other free graphical mailer will be available for Windows if Thunderbird might become inaccessible or at least very inefficient regarding to useability when it is a full webbased program.

Is anyone in touch with the Thunderbird developers and can find out more about their plans and how much they will have accessibility in mind?

I fear they do not care much about accessibility, so the next question is what can we do to bring this isue more into the public?

It would be really sad to loose the only really free and good to use graphical mailer for Windows. AFAIK there are not much alternatives left then, which is a real shame for such a central and important form of communication for blind people, especialy in this very challenging times :-(.

Cheers,

  Schoepp