Re: Thunderbird will become a webbased application - What about accessibility?

Gene

It may be that the Thunderbird developers will do this, but I did a search and I found this being discussed as far back as 2017. Maybe they will finally do something like this, but I wonder if it is a topic that comes up now and then and may not be acted on, at least we don't know how long it may be.

From: Brian Vogel
Sent: Monday, February 08, 2021 8:43 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Thunderbird will become a webbased application - What about accessibility?

On Mon, Feb 8, 2021 at 05:37 AM, Christian Schoepplein wrote:
I wonder what that means regarding to accessibility in Thunderbird-
I can't imagine why, given Mozilla's track record, that anything they code would not be accessible (with the occasional bobble).

The conventions for accessible web coding are very well known, and supported by every screen reader I'm aware of. It's not that web applications cannot be accessible, it's that many are not coded with any consideration given to accessibility.

Provided any web coder is not determined to use "the very latest and greatest" new coding, which is far less likely on an email client than other things, I see no reason why it would not be entirely accessible. Only time will tell, though.

~ Brian Vogel