Re: Thunderbird will become a webbased application - What about accessibility?

Mike Capelle <mcap1000@...>

I love whats app, I hate web based apps, I love my outlook 365, I do not believe that is web based.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Shaun Everiss
Sent: Monday, February 8, 2021 12:00 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Thunderbird will become a webbased application - What about accessibility?

Well its becoming web based right now.

Its why I like it.

As to a full web application, unsure, I still use xbox insider legacy
though I may have to opt out of xbox insider and then clear the xbox
stuff from my system, the web based universal xbox has no sfx and while
I can access it I don't like its layout.

Generally elektron stuff works but it depends how its programmed of course.

Skype is accessible, but I've never really gotten used to the interface
and to be utterly honest with everyone I know on whats app and such I
havn't needed to use it, in fact I am using zoom more, and these days I
make sure important stuff goes to email.

As for thunderbird becoming more inaccessible, as long as it keeps its
interface I don't mind.

Addons, yeah, if you rely on this for the quantom engine then yeah I
have issue with that but I don't and never have ever needed those.

I have the same love hate relationship with waterfox.

They have tried to modernise it, but classic and g3 crash a lot on
verious sites 20.08 just doesn't, with nvda interactions on my amd
system, and it doesn't render some pages right like resilio, hp support
and livejournal.

According to its support reddit, a lot of people have been having issues
with it and people are leaving in droves though maybe I just got the bad
posts.

Like in waterfox, I guess I could keep on an older version, version 52
no longer gets updates so if I need to I could drop back.

Security would be the main thing as in wanterfox I have noscript,
ublock, privacy badger and https everywhere so I am covered with passive
addons, so security is not as important as it could have been.

On the other side, if thunderbird version x stopped getting security
certs then it would be like eudora and manual cert getting.

However I wouldn't swet it yet.

It will be a gradual thing most likely anyway thunderbird is slow on
stable releases.

We are up to 86 now on betas and stable is still 68.7.1, before the 68
series that was 60, and before 60 it was 52.

So even if they do change if you are one of those like me that just
wants to get email and duck everything and everyone else, then I
wouldn't sweat it, they don't update their stables that fast.

In fact when I was manually getting the latest stable they were still
updating the previous one for a bit.

It also seems that once they are done with the last stable version in a
series they may or may not update you to the next stable.

So in the end you choose a stable version you like and most likely won't
get updates once its stopped.

For example thunderbird 52.9.1 is the last pre quantom versions and they
don't update to that.

v 60 may update to 68 or 62 I am not sure.

On 8/02/2021 11:37 pm, Christian Schoepplein wrote:
Hi,

regarding to a presentation at FOSDEM 2021 it is planed to make
Thunderbird more and more a webbased application based on Electron.

I wonder what that means regarding to accessibility in Thunderbird in
general and what other free graphical mailer will be available for
Windows if Thunderbird might become inaccessible or at least very
inefficient regarding to useability when it is a full webbased program.

Is anyone in touch with the Thunderbird developers and can find out
more about their plans and how much they will have accessibility in mind?

I fear they do not care much about accessibility, so the next question
is what can we do to bring this isue more into the public?

It would be really sad to loose the only really free and good to use
graphical mailer for Windows. AFAIK there are not much alternatives
left then, which is a real shame for such a central and important form
of communication for blind people, especialy in this very challenging
times :-(.

Cheers,

Schoepp

.