Re: Detecting misalignment in Microsoft Word tables

More detail on step one is needed.  Using the Insert Table command (ALT+N,T,I), what is in the combo box next to the radio button you've chosen for fixed width?

My guess is that you want a tidy table where the column width for a given column is that of the widest item in that column (provided you're not dealing with text that is very long), and the easiest way to get that is to choose Autofit to contents rather than fixed width.

After doing the above, you may still want or need to apply a table design to it so that you have things like header rows, banded color or shading for rows, etc., and that's done using the table design ribbon, ALT+JT.  Once you down arrow you are in the ribbon, and I can't get into all of the details of a given control group here because:

a) that's MS-Word, not NVDA.

b) you have to have explored around a bit to gain a bit of familiarity before it would mean anything.

If you have in-depth questions about formatting tables in MS-Word, regardless of the screen reader you're using, I'd ask that on the Microsoft Office Accessibility Discussion Group, which is dedicated to all things MS-Office and accessibility:

There are lots of folks who know MS-Word, and the other office suite programs, very well who are active there and can answer these kinds of questions and participate in the correct kind of "back and forth" to ask you the right questions so they can figure out what is, and is not, working in the technique(s) you're currently employing.

       ~ Brian Vogel