Re: NVDA and Outlook messages

Steve Nutt

As it happens Brian, you’re right.  This must be something to do with some of the Emails I receive.  When I get another one, I will examine the HTML code and see if we can narrow it down.

Thanks.

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: steve@...

W: https://www.comproom.co.uk

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve Nutt
Sent: 11 February 2021 16:14
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA and Outlook messages

Hi Brian,

This is simple to illustrate.

This is a Heading Level 1.

This is not a heading.

This is a heading level 2.

This again is not a heading.

Now let’s post and see what NVDA makes of that.

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: steve@...

W: https://www.comproom.co.uk

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: 11 February 2021 15:34
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA and Outlook messages

On Thu, Feb 11, 2021 at 10:12 AM, Steve Nutt wrote:

Headings are not exposed, certainly in the newsletter style Emails I both receive and write myself.

-
As Gene has suggested, having actual examples to examine and work with is the only way this will ultimately be solved.

And this could be another of the many instances where (and this is not a criticism, it may not even be intentional, some tools are weird) if some non-standard way was used of coding the HTML, certain screen readers will handle "confusing situations" more gracefully.  If the information is not "perfectly formatted" guesses have to be made, and depending on exactly how that's done one can end up with different results.

This is one of the main reasons for the old truism, "No matter what your favorite screen reader is, you need to have minimal proficiency with another, because there will be times where your favorite does not play well with something you need to access."

And none of the above is to say that there may not be an NVDA bug, but talking about this in the abstract, rather than testing with examples, is no way to determine that.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

The depths of denial one can be pushed to by outside forces of disapproval can make you not even recognize yourself to yourself.

~ Brian Vogel

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.