Re: Is Anydesk Accessible?

On Sun, Feb 14, 2021 at 08:11 AM, Steve Matzura wrote:
we *can* start it and accept inbound connections,
-
I cannot count the number of, "It's not accessible," statements that get made that are flat out false, and the direct result of just not knowing the software that's being accessed.

I made this point yesterday in this message on the JFW group, after someone had said in regard to Thunderbird, ". . .  I found TB to be not accessible due to lack of knowledge of how to navigate the app."  That is NOT, NOT, NOT, in any way, shape, or form, a legitimate definition of inaccessible.  It means you don't know what you're doing, which is true of each and every one of us when we're new to any given piece of software.  My not knowing how to use or navigate something is completely disjoint from its accessibility.

If you can't navigate and/or access controls using ANY of the methods your screen reader supports, that's inaccessible.  But no one has any reason to make any statement about accessibility of software they don't have any idea of how to use.  And in the case of modern Windows app UIs, object navigation is going to be a very common access method, so you can't say something's inaccessible because you have to use object navigation (or if you have not tried to see if you can get to things using it).

There is a huge chasm between something being clumsy through difficult to access, which may make it impractical to use (and should raise complaints, too), and actually inaccessible - meaning impossible to access in any way, shape or form using a screen reader.

And there's even a lot of software that, for day to day use, is perfectly accessible for what one is routinely called upon to do, but where several controls are inaccessible.  Those controls are a problem, and should be reported, but I wouldn't class software where you can use a huge amount of what it's designed to do, but has a couple of inaccessible elements, as inaccessible.  It's software with specific accessibility issues, but it's not inaccessible in any meaningful or practical sense.

       ~ Brian Vogel