Re: Is Anydesk Accessible?

Bob Cavanaugh <cavbob1993@...>

I completely agree with this statement. I've found very few websites
or programs that are completely inaccessible. Many more are difficult
to use but can be used with some fiddling. I'd say there are only a
large handful of programs fully accessible, a great deal more are
quite usable with a screen reader but take some exploring with, and
there are very few that are actually inaccessible.

On Sun, Feb 14, 2021 at 08:11 AM, Steve Matzura wrote:

we *can* start it and accept inbound connections,
-
I cannot count the number of, "It's not accessible," statements that get
made that are flat out false, and the direct result of just not knowing the
software that's being accessed.

I made this point yesterday in this message (
https://jfw.groups.io/g/main/message/86685 ) on the JFW group, after someone
had said in regard to Thunderbird, ". . . I found TB to be not accessible
due to lack of knowledge of how to navigate the app." That is NOT, NOT,
NOT, in any way, shape, or form, a legitimate definition of inaccessible.
It means you don't know what you're doing, which is true of each and every
one of us when we're new to any given piece of software. My not knowing how
to use or navigate something is completely disjoint from its accessibility.

If you can't navigate and/or access controls using ANY of the methods your
screen reader supports, that's inaccessible. But no one has any reason to
make any statement about accessibility of software they don't have any idea
of how to use. And in the case of modern Windows app UIs, object navigation
is going to be a very common access method, so you can't say something's
inaccessible because you have to use object navigation (or if you have not
tried to see if you can get to things using it).

There is a huge chasm between something being clumsy through difficult to
access, which may make it impractical to use (and should raise complaints,
too), and actually inaccessible - meaning impossible to access in any way,
shape or form using a screen reader.

And there's even a lot of software that, for day to day use, is perfectly
accessible for what one is routinely called upon to do, but where several
controls are inaccessible. Those controls are a problem, and should be
reported, but I wouldn't class software where you can use a huge amount of
what it's designed to do, but has a couple of inaccessible elements, as
inaccessible. It's software with specific accessibility issues, but it's
not inaccessible in any meaningful or practical sense.

The depths of denial one can be pushed to by outside forces of disapproval
can make you not even recognize yourself to yourself.

~ Brian Vogel