From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bob Cavanaugh
Sent: Sunday, February 14, 2021 3:18 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Is Anydesk Accessible?

I completely agree with this statement. I've found very few websites or programs that are completely inaccessible. Many more are difficult to use but can be used with some fiddling. I'd say there are only a large handful of programs fully accessible, a great deal more are quite usable with a screen reader but take some exploring with, and there are very few that are actually inaccessible.

On Sun, Feb 14, 2021 at 08:11 AM, Steve Matzura wrote:

we *can* start it and accept inbound connections,
-
I cannot count the number of, "It's not accessible," statements that
get made that are flat out false, and the direct result of just not
knowing the software that's being accessed.

I made this point yesterday in this message (
https://jfw.groups.io/g/main/message/86685 ) on the JFW group, after
someone had said in regard to Thunderbird, ". . . I found TB to be
not accessible due to lack of knowledge of how to navigate the app."
That is NOT, NOT, NOT, in any way, shape, or form, a legitimate definition of inaccessible.
It means you don't know what you're doing, which is true of each and
every one of us when we're new to any given piece of software. My not
knowing how to use or navigate something is completely disjoint from its accessibility.

If you can't navigate and/or access controls using ANY of the methods
your screen reader supports, that's inaccessible. But no one has any
reason to make any statement about accessibility of software they
don't have any idea of how to use. And in the case of modern Windows
app UIs, object navigation is going to be a very common access method,
so you can't say something's inaccessible because you have to use
object navigation (or if you have not tried to see if you can get to things using it).

There is a huge chasm between something being clumsy through difficult
to access, which may make it impractical to use (and should raise
complaints, too), and actually inaccessible - meaning impossible to
access in any way, shape or form using a screen reader.

And there's even a lot of software that, for day to day use, is
perfectly accessible for what one is routinely called upon to do, but
where several controls are inaccessible. Those controls are a
problem, and should be reported, but I wouldn't class software where
you can use a huge amount of what it's designed to do, but has a
couple of inaccessible elements, as inaccessible. It's software with
specific accessibility issues, but it's not inaccessible in any meaningful or practical sense.

The depths of denial one can be pushed to by outside forces of
disapproval can make you not even recognize yourself to yourself.

~ Brian Vogel