Re: Browse Dialogs with NVDA

Bob Cavanaugh

Where in context menu is this? The logical place would be in
properties, but I see nothing in there related to grouping.

On 2/19/21, Kostadin Kolev <k.kolev1985@...> wrote:
Hello,

Actually, Brian, I think you are wrong. The views set in the "Browse"
dialogs seam to be independent from the ones set in Windows Explorer
windows, strange as it may be as a behavior.

I went in both my personal "Downloads" folder (the one in my user's personal
folder) and the one in "This PC" and disabled the grouping by date and set
the sorting to be by name instead of by day (it was set so by me a long time
ago for the folder in "This PC", but it was not for the one in my personal
folder). Now it is set to no grouping and sorting by name for both places,
but when I invoked a "Browse" dialog from a program (I tried in Audacity,
Balabolka and Notepad++) and navigated to the "Downloads" folder, the view
in both "Downloads" folders was set to grouping and sorting by date.

To disable the grouping and sorting by date in both "Downloads" folders for
the "Browse" dialogs, the user has to invoke such a dialog from a program,
navigate to the two folders, invoke the context menu for the folder (with
nothing selected) and do it from there as it is done for the standard
Windows Explorer windows. The setting is saved and applied for each "Browse"
dialog, no matter from which program is invoked.

Hope this helps.

______
Best wishes,
Kostadin Kolev

На 19.2.2021 г. в 21:28, Brian Vogel написа:

Bob,

By the way, those are called "browse dialogs." You use 'em in
any program when you're trying to either open a file, or save it (or save
it as, the last two depend on whether it's ever been saved and whether
you're changing the name).

That being said, unless you intentionally changed something
at some point, no browse dialog should open a folder with a view other
than what it's set to under Windows 10. Double check that you do indeed
have Group by turned off, and that the primary sort on the Downloads
folder is by Name.

I have just gone through every button on the Browse Dialog
used for opening a file, including those you access once you land on the
Organize button and right arrowing from there, and I can find absolutely
nothing that allows you to turn on grouping (or remove it) in the Browse
Dialog.

Any idiot can face a crisis. It's the day-to-day living that wears you
out.

~ Anton Chekhov