Re: ZOOM: Can NVDA announce state of mute/unmute?

Gene

Use the short cut command alt a to switch between mute and unmute. I don't know why you don't hear the status spoken fully when you do what you do. When I use alt a with NVDA, I hear the status spoken correctly.

-----Original Message-----
From: Milton Charlton
Sent: Thursday, February 25, 2021 11:25 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] ZOOM: Can NVDA announce state of mute/unmute?

During a ZOOM session I would like to hear the status of mute/unmute. When I press down the spacebar, NVDA starts to announce “unmute” but does not complete speaking the word “unmute”. When I let up the spacebar NVDA announces “mute”.

It is often impractical to hold down the spacebar to speak. If I manage to click on the mute/unmute icon, NVDA does not announce anything. I know there is a red slash though the icon but that is too hard to see.

Similarly, if I use ALT-A to change the state of mute/unmute, NVDA does not announce this.

I feel I am missing something here and therefore seek your advice. Is there a way to make this work better?

It would also be really handy to have a way to announce the state of mute/unmute without actually changing the state by the controls mentioned above. Something like a hotkey that causes the state of mute/unmute to be spoken would be great. Sometimes during a session I just want to know if I am muted or unmuted because I may have forgotten the status.

Thanks. This is a great forum!!

Milton