Most Responsive and Accessible Version of Microsoft Word

Bhavya shah

Dear all,

I currently use NVDA 2020.4, Microsoft Office 365, and Windows 10 on a
fairly high-spec machine. Within the Office suite, the bulk of my
usage (and of my dissatisfaction) is with Microsoft Word. I find NVDA
to be quite slow when navigating through any document in Word 365,
particularly in terms of paragraph navigation in case of large
paragraphs. The spelling and grammar check dialog is not as convenient
as it used to be in the past. I should note that I have tried enabling
Word UIA and it does substantially help with NVDA's responsiveness in
Word 365, but introduces its own set of bugs. I can't recall exact
versions, but in the past, I believeI have used versions such as 2007,
2010, and 2013, and I feel like all of them were much more conducive
to a snappy NVDA performance. I understand that work on improving NVDA
and Microsoft Office 365's interplay is on going, but from my
perspective, I think it might not be at a point just yet such that it
maximizes my productivity.

Having said all of that, I was wondering if you had thoughts on which
of most recent versions of Word are most responsive. To be clear, what
I mainly mean by responsiveness is just that when I navigate in a
document, NVDA's latency is low and its speech feedback is almost
immediate. For other software, I would just get trials of several past
versions of the software, run them as something equivalent to a
portable copy, and practically try and test each of them; I don't
think that can be done for Microsoft Office though.

I would greatly appreciate all inputs and suggestions in this regard.

Thanks.

--
Best Regards
Bhavya Shah