Re: right clicking

molly the blind tech lover

Hi.

I find this topic really interesting, as I am just starting to practice using a mouse in combination with NVDA.

I purchased a wireless mouse, as I needed one for my class.

With NVDA’s mouse tracking feature on, I am getting used to slowly moving the mouse to either right click or left click when I need to.

I am by no means good at using the mouse, but I like knowing it is possible to use the mouse.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Monday, March 1, 2021 11:07 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] right clicking

And I will say, again, that while I understand entirely why a screen reader user does not want to use a mouse or mouse pad to move the mouse pointer, I fail to understand the resistance to using the actual left and right click buttons with a prepared mouse or a masked mousepad.

For a regular optical mouse, a piece of electrical tape placed over the laser output prevents it from ever moving the mouse pointer, giving you direct access to real left and right click buttons (and maybe a scroll wheel, depending on the mouse).  Using a small piece of thick-ish cardboard (like what's on the back of most writing pads, or a piece of a file folder) that's taped in place over the trackpad area of a laptop mousepad does exactly the same thing, still giving you access to the real left and right click buttons when you need them.

They're a lot more reliable than any screen reader's emulation of those buttons.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

Any idiot can face a crisis. It's the day-to-day living that wears you out.

~ Anton Chekhov

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.