Re: right clicking

On Mon, Mar 1, 2021 at 01:40 PM, Bob Cavanaugh wrote:
I had learned that right click usually meant pressing the applications key, and I'm not sure I've ever needed a left click.
-
In 99.99999999% of cases, once you have selected something and have focus on it, hitting the menu/applications key is precisely the same as a right click.  You can also reliably use SHIFT+F10, whether or not your keyboard has an applications key.

You would likely very seldom need a left click unless there's some sort of misbehavior with hitting enter to activate.

But I have found the left click and right click emulations for every screen reader I've ever worked with to be hit and miss.  Whereas using their functionality to route the mouse to whatever has screen reader focus, then using an actual left or right click when either is needed, always works.  It's really a matter of suiting what you're doing to a given situation.

I want to make clear that I am not, in any way, discouraging the use of keyboard commands for bringing up the context menu, which is what a right click with a mouse generally does.  But if, for some reason, they don't, there is the very rare occasion where an actual mouse right click does.  I wish I had logged the specific circumstances, but I've had instances where that was the case.  They're admittedly quite rare, but then bugs with the most basic of Windows commands generally are.

      ~ Anton Chekhov