Fix for MathPlayer Issue not fixed by running COM Registration Fixing Tool

ramamariano

Moderator's Preface:  This reply came in this morning in regard to a topic that had been inactive for a bit over a year.  In that topic, entitled, confused, Tyler Spivey, in message  , gave a proposed solution original complaint after I had given a link to the GitHub NVDA Issue for same that he had created.  The issue remains open, and because it remains open, what follows may help someone who may still be having it.  I didn't want people to think that Mariano's helpful response "came out of nowhere" nor to have a clue about the background.  So, without further ado:

-----
Just my own experience regarding this topic if helps anyone in any way.
My situation:
Windows 10 64b
NVDA 2020.4

Uninstalling Mathplayer 4 produces the inglorious "Unkown" issue in Firefox, Taskbar, etc.
Trying "COM Registration Fixing tool"; doesn't work.
Trying all the tweaks here: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/2807#issuecomment-320149243; doesn't work.
Trying Tyler Spivey Python console command; return "SyntaxError: invalid syntax".

Since i get "invalid syntax" error I try to search for typos and found there´s a letter "u" on the bottom of the line I can remove.

Original command:
import comtypes,ctypes;p=comtypes.typeinfo.LoadTypeLibEx(r"c:\windows\syswow64\oleacc.dll");ctypes.windll.oleaut32.RegisterTypeLib(p, ur"c:\windows\syswow64\oleacc.dll", None)

Fixed command (at least for me):
import comtypes,ctypes;p=comtypes.typeinfo.LoadTypeLibEx(r"c:\windows\syswow64\oleacc.dll");ctypes.windll.oleaut32.RegisterTypeLib(p, r"c:\windows\syswow64\oleacc.dll", None)
That works in my case.

So, steps for the fix:
1.Run NVDA as administrator (required).
2.Open NVDA Menu, then Tools, then Python Console.
3.Paste this line:

import comtypes,ctypes;p=comtypes.typeinfo.LoadTypeLibEx(r"c:\windows\syswow64\oleacc.dll");ctypes.windll.oleaut32.RegisterTypeLib(p, r"c:\windows\syswow64\oleacc.dll", None)

4.Hit enter, it will return a number (-2147319780).
5.Restart NVDA and check if Firefox works ok.