locked Re: Admin's Note: Re: I have a new text to speech voice available for purchase. #adminnotice

Gene

I don't think voices should be added without review, at least when they are unknown. If you list a voice, it has the implied endorsement of NVDA developers just because it is on a trusted site.

I'm not saying the voice isn't what it claims, but I and others have raised many important questions about it.

From: Quentin Christensen
Sent: Thursday, March 11, 2021 9:44 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Admin's Note: Re: I have a new text to speech voice available for purchase. #adminnotice

Just to be clear, I did add the voice (at the creators request) to the Extra Voices page, which is part of the Wiki which others could edit as well: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/wiki/ExtraVoices

In adding it, I was just sharing the resource on the appropriate page, not explicitly endorsing it.

My initial feeling was this was made by a young creator just getting started. Certainly I think we'd all appreciate a review on the voice by anyone who does purchase it (both to allay the fears of those concerned, and just because we all like to know what a new voice is like).

On Fri, Mar 12, 2021 at 6:02 AM Chris Smart <ve3rwj@winsystem.org> wrote:
I haven't looked at a .bat file since the MS DOS days, but isn't it just
a text file you can examine in Notepad or similar?

Wouldn't that quickly determine if it is in any way malicious?

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Web: www.nvaccess.org