locked Re: Admin's Note: Re: I have a new text to speech voice available for purchase. #adminnotice

Gene

I don't have an actual procedure, but I would say that, in the case of an unknown voice, one or two people would try it to see if it works and sounds as claimed. I don't know what was done in this case and I'm not assuming either way. I'm saying that it shouldn't be listed if one or two people didn't test it first for performance, sounding as claimed, and safety, not malicious. Voices can be just as malicious as add-ons.

From: Quentin Christensen
Sent: Thursday, March 11, 2021 10:37 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Admin's Note: Re: I have a new text to speech voice available for purchase. #adminnotice

I added a line to the extra voices page to clarify that listing was done to provide a resource for users and should not be taken as official endorsement. I can see how a user could very easily get to that page and assume anything there is officially endorsed though.

What do you have in mind for review though? Not everything there is open source, and not everything requires an add-on - eg this new one is a SAPI 5 voice as are several others there.

On Fri, Mar 12, 2021 at 3:07 PM Brian Vogel <britechguy@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 11:03 PM, Gene wrote:
I and others have raised many important questions about it.-
As did the announcement. It is not an "implied endorsement" when something is announced with the clear provisos that were used here. If anyone does not understand that this is not the fault of anyone but the reader

There was nothing even vaguely like an endorsement, implied or otherwise. [And, by the way, I red flagged this announcement and there was an awful lot of back-channel discussion before the heavily cautioned announcement.]

~ Anton Chekhov

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager