Re: No speech when running NVDA.

Jackie

Hello, Arianna. That really is frustrating. I guess my first question
is whether your output sound card is correct.

Pleas press control + NVDA key + s to reach the synthesizer menu. Tab
once to the audio output device & ensure that it's set to your
speakers/headphones of choice. Tab to ok & activate the button, &
let's see if that helps.

On 3/12/21, Arianna Sepulveda <englishrider91@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello, everyone,

I recently started having this issue--probably a few days ago. I've
done everything I can think of, save updating Windows 10 to the
absolute latest version--though I don't think that should make that
much of an issue, since I'm only on the release before this latest
update. Anyhow, here's my issue. I was running NVDA when all of a
sudden, it stopped speaking. I booted up Narrator and exited NVDA then
tried to bring up NVDA again, with no luck. I then tried restarting
the computer, and still nothing changed. I left the computer alone for
a few days, but when I came back to it today, I still had the same
problem. I figured, at this point, that I had nothing to lose, and
uninstalled and reinstalled NVDA, getting the latest version from
NVDA's website. The install screen spoke, but as soon as it was
installed, I suddenly had no speech. I have no idea what I can do at
this point. I have absolutely no ad-ons installed, the volume is up in
the synthesizer dialogue, and I switched to ESpeak, just in case.
Absolutely nothing has worked. I know my Surface isn't muted,
obviously, because I'm getting speech both from Narrator and from
JAWS.

Does anyone know what this issue could possibly be? I'm extremely
frustrated. I haven't used JAWS in quite a long time, and rather
dislike it. The caps lock key no longer works as the JAWS key for a
laptop, and I really miss the synth ring. Also, I feel like JAWS isn't
as good on the web as NVDA. I had to get my husband's help with
accepting the terms of service for a public WiFi network, because I
couldn't even use the stupid JAWS cursor because of the aforementioned
caps lock JAWS key issue. I would have had no such issue with this
webpage with NVDA. If I couldn't navigate to it with the standard
keys, I could most-likeley have gotten to it with Object Nav. Arrowing
through the page with JAWS just got me to some explanatory text, and
the stupid accept terms of service checkbox, but never to the button
to finish the process of connecting. Anyhow, I'm hoping someone has
some suggestions.

Thanks,
Ari