Re: nvda remote sound question and working on command line via laptop

You're correct that >> is an append redirect while > is a "wipe out whatever may have been there, if anything, and start afresh" redirect.

I was only addressing the first step in my example.  You're absolutely correct that all subsequent steps where you wanted to retain whatever had been logged previously would need to use the >> as the redirect form.

If you don't want retention then > is what you want to use at any step where you want to start the log from scratch.

      ~ Anton Chekhov