Re: Column selection in word

Quentin Christensen

Hi William,

If you select the cells you want to merge - ie move to row 2, column 1, then shift+down arrow to select through to row 5 column 1 - you can then press the applications key to open the context menu and choose "Merge" (Press M twice then enter).  That works with a couple of caveats:
- Moving to the cell to the right of the merged cells will, in this case, always move to the topmost cell to the right - ie row 2, column 2.
- If you set headers, NVDA will read that header each time you change rows, even though it's the same for all those merged cells.
- If you set NVDA to use UI Automation (in NVDA's advanced settings), it gets a bit confused about when you are in the table when part of the table is merged like this.  I'll explore it further and write up the issue, but for now, I'd recommend not using UIA in Word for tables.

If you are interested in learning more about tables and Word in general, we have the "Microsoft Word with NVDA" module you might be interested: https://www.nvaccess.org/product/microsoft-word-training-for-nvda-ebook/

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 6:01 PM William <xsuper.sillyx@...> wrote:
Hi all

I have the following problem.

I have a 5x5 table in word.

With the first row as the column title and the rest are the table
content. But the first column of the content (first cell of row 2 to
first cell of fifth row) apply to the rest of the content.

So i wanna combine the above mentioned 4 cells.

Do you know how to do this using NVDA?

Thanks,

--
Quentin Christensen