Re: Files and folders and drives; properties

Gene

There may be something different in Windows 10 about what is an object in that dialog. But I find it odd that you evidently get a message that says only applies to files in folder. How would whatever if generating the message know what you are doing and what the command applies to? I wonder if this is an NVDA generated message. What happens if you are in a folder and on a specific file? Do you get the same message when in properties for a single file?

From: Luke Davis
Sent: Thursday, March 18, 2021 4:43 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Files and folders and drives; properties

Gene wrote:

Try it and you'll see that it works if Windows 10 is like other versions of
Windows in this respect.
The below shows an attempt to view properties of a file. Captured using the NVDA
speech viewer, with command keys on to show my work.
I also made sure I was in object review (shown).
NVDA Alpha, Windows 10 (2004).

=====

Items View list
000testFolder 1 of 519
NVDA+numpad 1
Object review
000testFolder
alt+enter
000testFolder Properties dialog
General property page Type: File folder
Location: C:\Users\luke\AppData\Local\Temp
Size: 0 bytes
Size on disk: 0 bytes
Contains: 0 Files, 0 Folders
Created: Thursday, December 17, 2020, 12:43:20 AM
Attributes:
Read-only (Only applies to files in folder) check box half checked Alt+r
shift+numpad 7
Read-only (Only applies to files in folder)
numpad 9
Bottom
Read-only (Only applies to files in folder)
numpad 7
Top
Read-only (Only applies to files in folder)
NVDA+numpad 7
Screen review
Read-only (Only applies to files in folder)
shift+numpad 7
000testFolder
numpad 9
Type: File folder
numpad 9
Location: C:\Users\luke\AppData\Local\Temp
numpad 9
Size: 0 bytes
numpad 9
Size on disk: 0 bytes
numpad 9
Contains: 0 Files, 0 Folders
numpad 9
Created: Thursday, December 17, 2020, 12:43:20 AM
numpad 9
Attributes:
numpad 9
Read-only (Only applies to files in folder)
numpad 9
Hidden
numpad 9
Advanced...
numpad 9
blank
numpad 9
OK Cancel Apply
NVDA+numpad 1
Object review
OK
numpad 7
Top
OK
shift+numpad 7
OK

=====

My understanding is that the object that is the half-checked checkbox, acquires
focus, and prevents object review from going anywhere else. Which is how it's
supposed to work.

Luke

On Thu, 18 Mar 2021, Gene wrote:

That isn't correct. At least it isn't correct in the versions of Windows I've
used. While you can go into review mode and do this, in this case, it isn't
necessary. Staying in object review works here because the dialog is one
object. You can therefore use the commands I gave in object mode. I didn't
know it was all one object until I tried moving this way in the dialog while
staying in object navigation mode. I did so because it’s a little more
convenient not to issue the extra commands to go into review mode, then
return to object navigation. So I tried object navigation first in the
dialog.