Re: Files and folders and drives; properties

Gene

Any other command stops speech while executing the other command. Thus, control need only be used when you want to stop speech and take no other action.

It seems to me that some people believe that, for some reason, you have to let speech run until it is finished. Maybe they think they might damage the computer if they stop it.

From: Brian Vogel
Sent: Friday, March 19, 2021 10:51 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Files and folders and drives; properties

On Fri, Mar 19, 2021 at 08:40 AM, Gene wrote:
As far as speech is concerned, it will stop as soon as you issue a command such as control,-
One of the first things I teach is how to shut the screen reader up, and I generally teach that as, "Hit the control or escape key." I never really thought about issuing other commands, and it's good to know that trick, too.

Many of my clients over the years have lost their sight relatively recently, and are first time screen reader users. With the advent of the newer virtually human sounding synthesizers it was interesting to see how really deeply engrained social strictures about "not interrupting someone" came into play with regard to the screen reader reading. People hear a human voice and everything you know about what you do, and do not, do in regard to another person comes into play.

Disabusing them of the notion that any deference need be given the screen reader is an overarching goal early on. You can shut it up whenever you so choose and no offense will be taken!

~ Anton Chekhov