NVDA indentation reporting, can it ignore blank lines?

Samuel Kacer

Hello,

as a programmer, I use indentation reporting almost every day. One particular thing that has really been annoying me for years now is is demonstrated in this scenario:

block header
  line 1

  line 2

because of the blank line with indentation reporting is read as:
block header
two space line 1
no indent blank
two space line 2

although the blank line and its lack of indentation  has no semantic meaning and does not change the block structure in any way, NVDA reports the change of indentation anyway, leading to redundant verbosity, making it much harder to focus on what is relevant.

I am not saying that NVDA shouldn't do this. this is definitely relevant information in some contexts, but I would love if there was an additional setting that would make indentation reporting ignore blank lines. so the previous line in the buffer that is compared to the new line to determine whether to announce indentation change would be the last non-blank line visited. so, the above example would read as:

block header
two space line 1
blank
line 2

I was thinking of developing an addon to enable this behaviour when I have a bit more free time, but wanted to check first if this behaviour is possible by any chance without an addon.

Thanks,
Sam