Re: NVDA indentation reporting, can it ignore blank lines?

Tony Malykh

I would love to have this feature too. I checked NVDA sources a while ago, and I didn't see this feature implemented. I might implement this as a hack in one of my add-ons some day.

On 3/21/2021 7:29 AM, Samuel Kacer wrote:
Woops, sorry I misread your reply at first glance. Well, in that case you would not turn on this setting. However, it really shouldn't be a big deal, since editors like VS code auto-delete spaces on blank lines for most languages. In fact, that behavior of VS code is partly the motivating factor for this setting.

On Sun, Mar 21, 2021 at 3:26 PM Samuel Kacer <samuel.kacer@...> wrote:
That's incorrect. With the proposed setting turned on, lines with spaces would not behave differently. only lines that are completely blank.

On Sun, Mar 21, 2021 at 3:05 PM William <xsuper.sillyx@...> wrote:

is this possible by some sort of regex?

Personally I want to keep the original behavior, because when doing text editing, this can prevent leaving some lines with only spaces.

Samuel Kacer 於 21/3/2021 21:01 寫道:
Hello,

as a programmer, I use indentation reporting almost every day. One particular thing that has really been annoying me for years now is is demonstrated in this scenario:

block header
  line 1

  line 2

because of the blank line with indentation reporting is read as:
block header
two space line 1
no indent blank
two space line 2

although the blank line and its lack of indentation  has no semantic meaning and does not change the block structure in any way, NVDA reports the change of indentation anyway, leading to redundant verbosity, making it much harder to focus on what is relevant.

I am not saying that NVDA shouldn't do this. this is definitely relevant information in some contexts, but I would love if there was an additional setting that would make indentation reporting ignore blank lines. so the previous line in the buffer that is compared to the new line to determine whether to announce indentation change would be the last non-blank line visited. so, the above example would read as:

block header
two space line 1
blank
line 2

I was thinking of developing an addon to enable this behaviour when I have a bit more free time, but wanted to check first if this behaviour is possible by any chance without an addon.

Thanks,
Sam