Re: Accessible Alternatives to Microsoft Office

Lanie,

Libre Office is definitely a good, and well supported choice.  Some of this really depends on which programs of the Office suite you actually use and want to replace.

I really like SoftMaker Office (whether their free version or the paid one, which is much less expensive than Microsoft Office) if you're only looking to replace Word, Excel, and/or PowerPoint.  You do have to be certain that you install it using the choice for the Menu driven interface, as so far in the testing I've done it's 100% accessible, while their ribbon interface isn't.  Or at least is isn't in the Free version (which is their 2018 version, they haven't released a more recent one).  I have not needed to purchase anything newer from them, so ribbon accessibility may have improved in their 2021 version, but I would not count on it.

And, for the record, questions about whether a program is accessible with NVDA, or what programs are accessible with NVDA, are perfectly OK and absolutely on topic for the NVDA Group.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

Any idiot can face a crisis. It's the day-to-day living that wears you out.

~ Anton Chekhov

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.