Re: Accessible Alternatives to Microsoft Office

Rui Fontes

When you tab around the save dialog, what NVDA says?

In my case, with NVDA 2020.3 or last Alpha, nothing is echoed by NVDA!

Rui

Às 17:32 de 25/03/2021, Brian Vogel escreveu:

On Thu, Mar 25, 2021 at 12:52 PM, Rui Fontes wrote:

The dialog asking if you want to save the file is not accessible...

Open the Options dialog and it is not accessible...

-
I have no issue with either, and can post a link to recordings of NVDA speaking if you'd like to hear them.

I did, however, just encounter another "on first use" accessibility issue with a dialog that opens that asks you whether you'd prefer to use Microsoft Office file formats for the SoftMaker Office equivalents or use their own file formats.  I always choose MS-Office, and have typically done that from each program.  This is the first install I've done using the MSI installer where I get this query on first run.  NVDA read the content of the dialog just fine, but I had an issue (and it could be stupidity on my part) in trying to get to the radio button for using the Microsoft Office file formats.  This is another of those annoying setup issues but, once done once, never recurs again.

I am genuinely curious as to who's hitting what issues with NVDA and SoftMaker Free Office, but I cannot replicate the issues you mention.  I get the standard Windows 10 Save and Open Dialogs, with the TextMaker icon (in this test case) at the upper left corner just like I get in MS-Word, but with the Word icon in the upper left corner in that case.

I'm using NVDA 2020.4 and the version of SoftMaker Free Office that installs with the MSI file named freeoffice2018.msi.  This is on a machine running Windows 10 Home 20H2, Build 19042.804 (I haven't fired this particular machine up for a while, so it's not quite current on the dot level).

      ~ Anton Chekhov