Re: OK, great regex and NVDA Dictionary Gurus

Tyler Spivey

I've never heard NVDA say prime. That must be something with your setup, or you're not sending it the characters you think you are.

I did the following:
1. Created a new NVDA config (Run, nvda -c c:\users\tyler\nvdatest).
2. Read ''chinchilla'' with the default OneCore. It just read chinchilla.
3. Same with espeak.
4. Added the dictionary entry you tried:
Pattern: ''(.*)''; Replacement: quote \1 quote; case: off; Type: Regular expression
Read that again with espeak, and it said quote chinchilla quote as expected.

On 3/25/2021 5:02 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
This is a direct spin off of an earlier topic asking about how to get two single quotes, when used in place of a double quote, announced as quote.  Since the description is that the double single quote characters always surround another string, I used that entire configuration.
I have used these two regexes, and tested same using Python regex syntax on my favorite regex testing site:
''(.*)''         Single quote single quote left paren dot asterisk right paren single quote single quote
as well as the enumerated variant: '{2}(.*)'{2}
Both of these match any string I've tried that is preceded and followed by two single quotes successively.
The replacement string I've used, with either one of those, in the default dictionary:  quote \1 quote
It does not work.
If I have the string:
''chinchilla''
I hear chinchilla prime.
I know that synths can come into play, but I wouldn't think the synth should matter at all when my replacement should be:
quote chinchilla quote
What am I missing here?
/Any idiot can face a crisis. It's the day-to-day living that wears you out./
      ~ Anton Chekhov