Re: problems with a punctuation mark

Gene

I'm not sure what is being used. In the one example given with the marks, if I read them character by character, I hear apostrophe, not tick. If I read the line, I don't hear anything. I tried using double apostrophes using my keyboard, announced as ticks, in Notepad, preceding and following a word and I hear tick tick, if I have punctuation set to read that sign.

So there are two questions, what is being used and what synthesizer is being used.

From: Brian Vogel
Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2021 5:05 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] problems with a punctuation mark

Gene,

Just curious what you get for the following line:

''Gene''

Using OneCore I get Gene prime, which is really interesting. Particularly because I get tick (which is not unexpected) if I start going character by character from the start of the line.

It would be better, if it's not being done by some weird automation, for the originators not to use two single quotes in place of a single double quote character.

~ Anton Chekhov