Re: How to get NVDA speak a word

On Sun, Mar 28, 2021 at 07:24 PM, Nevzat Adil wrote:
Where do I go to configure NVDA to speak the word 'dot'?
-
Nevzat,

          What I'm trying to say is that you don't configure NVDA to say it, because it should say it be default, but my guess is that at some point someone has put in a dictionary entry that is somehow snagging dot and substituting nothing.

           The first thing to check is the default dictionary, which you can reach via NVDA+N,P,D,D, then start down arrowing through all the entries, looking for one where the pattern string contains dot, somewhere.  It need not be a perfect match, it could be something like ".*dot" or "dot*" but it will most likely have those three characters somewhere.  If you find one, and have no idea what it's for, remove it.  Let's hope that whoever created it, and that could be you, entered a comment field when they did as that makes it much easier to know what the intent was, and whether removal is likely to trigger another issue.

            If there's nothing there, then try the previously mentioned keyboard shortcut sequence, but substitute V for that last D to look at the Voice Dictionary.  It's possible the offending entry could be in there.

            Since this persists across having shut NVDA down and started it again, it cannot be the temporary dictionary.

            If you find nothing in the dictionaries that could be causing this, I'm at a loss.  I'd try changing synth and voice just to see if the issue persists after having done so.

       ~ Richard M. Nixon