Re: How to get NVDA speak a word

I tried your suggestions but still have the issue.
Would uninstalling and installing NVDA help?

On Sun, Mar 28, 2021 at 07:24 PM, Nevzat Adil wrote:

Where do I go to configure NVDA to speak the word 'dot'?
-
Nevzat,

What I'm trying to say is that you don't configure NVDA to say it, because
it should say it be default, but my guess is that at some point someone has
put in a dictionary entry that is somehow snagging dot and substituting
nothing.

The first thing to check is the default dictionary, which you can reach via
NVDA+N,P,D,D, then start down arrowing through all the entries, looking for
one where the pattern string contains dot, somewhere.  It need not be a
perfect match, it could be something like ".*dot" or "dot*" but it will most
likely have those three characters somewhere.  If you find one, and have no
idea what it's for, remove it.  Let's hope that whoever created it, and that
could be you, entered a comment field when they did as that makes it much
easier to know what the intent was, and whether removal is likely to trigger
another issue.

If there's nothing there, then try the previously mentioned keyboard
shortcut sequence, but substitute V for that last D to look at the Voice
Dictionary.  It's possible the offending entry could be in there.

Since this persists across having shut NVDA down and started it again, it
cannot be the temporary dictionary.

If you find nothing in the dictionaries that could be causing this, I'm at a
loss.  I'd try changing synth and voice just to see if the issue persists
after having done so.

Always remember others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless
you hate them.  And then you destroy yourself.

~ Richard M. Nixon

--
Nevzat Adil
Library of Congress Certified