Re: edit user guide

Luke Davis

On Wed, 7 Apr 2021, Brian Vogel wrote:

-And even though this is absolutely true, NVDA documentation should not focus on Windows commands, either.
I don't disagree, but I am curious about:

But it should be presumed that someone coming to NVDA is and has already been a Windows user and already
knows the keyboard shortcuts used to do things like cut, copy, paste, save, save as, and the list goes on and on.
Why should that be presumed?

As I understand it, one of the core intents for NVDA is second or third world use, where other screen readers are either not available, or are prohibitively expensive. (Obviously, this does not take into account Narrator's increasing capabilities.)

In such circumstances, a blind user likely has no Windows experience at all, and shouldn't be expected to have it. Additionally, it doesn't seem reasonable to assume that such users have good access to trainers of any kind beyond basic installation.

Therefore, what am I missing that makes it logical to expect them to have prior Windows experience?

It is important, critically important, to be able to separate out "who controls what," and by that I mean knowing what commands are Windows commands and work pretty much everywhere under Windows, what are screen reader commands, and what are commands specific to the application being accessed.
Absolutely true. In my experience, trainers for Window-eyes and Jaws, have rarely taught that difference. People I have worked with to try to teach them to use NVDA, have often been completely ignorant, and surprised by the fact, that some of the shortcuts they knew were actually Windows commands. They tend to assume that nothing they already know is applicable, because they think it is all screen reader commands; and are afraid to try things because they think it will make something happen that they won't be able to come back from. Worse, as I understand it, sometimes Jaws, et al have created their own versions of Windows shortcut commands, which just muddies the waters.

Luke