Re: edit user guide

Monte Single

Well said Luke.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Luke Davis
Sent: April 7, 2021 5:08 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] edit user guide

On Wed, 7 Apr 2021, Brian Vogel wrote:

-And even though this is absolutely true, NVDA documentation should not
focus on Windows commands, either.

I don't disagree, but I am curious about:

But it should be presumed that someone coming to NVDA is and has
already been a Windows user and already knows the keyboard shortcuts used
to do things like cut, copy, paste, save, save as, and the list goes on and
on.

Why should that be presumed?

As I understand it, one of the core intents for NVDA is second or third
world use, where other screen readers are either not available, or are
prohibitively expensive. (Obviously, this does not take into account
Narrator's increasing
capabilities.)

In such circumstances, a blind user likely has no Windows experience at all,
and shouldn't be expected to have it. Additionally, it doesn't seem
reasonable to assume that such users have good access to trainers of any
kind beyond basic installation.

Therefore, what am I missing that makes it logical to expect them to have
prior Windows experience?

It is important, critically important, to be able to separate out "who
controls what," and by that I mean knowing what commands are Windows
commands and work pretty much everywhere under Windows, what are screen
reader commands, and what are commands specific to the application being
accessed.

Absolutely true. In my experience, trainers for Window-eyes and Jaws, have
rarely taught that difference. People I have worked with to try to teach
them to use NVDA, have often been completely ignorant, and surprised by the
fact, that some of the shortcuts they knew were actually Windows commands.
They tend to assume that nothing they already know is applicable, because
they think it is all screen reader commands; and are afraid to try things
because they think it will make something happen that they won't be able to
come back from.
Worse, as I understand it, sometimes Jaws, et al have created their own
versions of Windows shortcut commands, which just muddies the waters.

Luke