Re: Find On Page

Bob Cavanaugh <cavbob1993@...>

That was a much more technical answer than I was looking for, but
between yours and Brian's, I think I understand. In the case of
controls with no actual text that NVDA has to extract, I completely
understand where the NVDA find could be useful. That being said
though, is the fact that NVDA actually uses a virtual cursor in browse
mode the reason the control+F command never works, even when searching
for plain text? I doubt I'll ever find out for sure, but Joseph, your
programming knowledge may shed some light into how System Access
possibly worked when it comes to this issue. Because I used that
screen reader the most, it's where I have most of my experience
finding things, and control+F worked. I would imagine it had to have
some form of browse Vs. focus mode, but the end user never had to
choose because every time it encountered an input, particularly an
edit field, it automatically switched. That could be annoying at times
as I had to tab out of an edit field before I could navigate to the
next one, but it also helped at times, as there was one site I had to
use when I was in school where both NVDA and JAWS automatically went
into focus mode upon logging in, which made navigating by the quick
keys I was used to impossible, but it wasn't an issue at all with
System Access.

I guess I need to go deeper into the layered design I mentioned in my last
reply (the best person to explain the browser side of things is Marco Zehe
from Mozilla Foundation):

To let NVDA navigate a website as though you are reading a document, NVDA
employs what’s called a “tree interceptor”. A tree interceptor is a
collection of elements that act like one large text area. Because a tree
interceptor is a collection of elements and texts coming from these, it can
include hundreds of different controls of varying roles (straight text, form
fields, links, frames, web apps, video players, you name it). Using a tree
to describe a complex control such as a web document is quite an interesting
approach – after all, graphical user interface elements are organized like a
tree or branches, with web documents consisting of a collection of smaller
elements (and this is how HTML and ARIA coding is actually rendered on
screen).

But tree interceptors are not enough. NVDA relies on three more materials to
create a completely functioning browse mode implementation: virtual buffers,
accessibility API’s, and a cursor manager (there are other elements
involved, but these three are essential). Virtual buffers create building
blocks for documents. Accessibility API’s and standards such as IAccessible
and ARIA (Accessible Rich Internet Applications) enhance the “look and feel”
of a browse mode document. Finally, cursor managers provide commands to move
around the just created browse mode document.

The steps NVDA takes when creating a browse mode document are as follows:

1. You start a web browser. NVDA can then load appropriate support modules
based on the browser you are using.
2. You open a new website.
3. When NVDA detects that a new page is open, NVDA will either use API’s
provided by the web browser to gather information about the just opened
document (typically UIA browse mode implementations in Chromium Edge) or ask
a DLL that ships with NVDA to gather info on the fly (Firefox is a good
example of this).
4. Whatever method is chosen, NVDA will read the document from top to
bottom, constructing NVDA objects to represent elements found in the web
document. At the same time, texts coming from these web elements are
gathered into a single browse mode document (tree interceptor in some cases)
to facilitate navigation, first letter commands, NVDA find, elements list
and a whole host of features.

As for NVDA find command, NVDA will search text of the browse mode document
(stored internally) and will place the cursor at the next occurrence of the
searched term.

P.S. Marco, if you are here, may I ask if you can shed some light on browse
mode/tree interceptor internals? I can speak of what NVDA does at the high
level.

Cheers,

Joseph